Moroccan Meat Patties
- 1 handful of onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 large green chilli, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of ground sweet paprika
- ½ tsp of ground turmeric
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- 1 handful of tomato, blanched in hot water, peeled and chopped
- ½ preserved lemon (rind only), or zest of ½ lemon, chopped (if using lemon zest, add an additional pinch of salt)
- 4 handfuls of zucchini, grated
- 4 palm-sized portions of lean beef mince
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Few sprigs each of fresh mint, coriander leaves and parsley
- Cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
- Fry the onion with olive oil for a few minutes until almost transparent. Add green chilli, garlic, paprika, turmeric and cumin. Fry for a further few minutes. Add tomato, preserved lemon (or lemon zest) and zucchini and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender and some liquid has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked mixture with beef mince, eggs, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well and shape into small patties. Fry the meat patties in olive oil, turning gently, until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve with 2 additional handfuls of recommended vegetables or salad per serve.