Lemon and Almond Cake
- 1 ⅓ cups of almond meal
- 8 tsp of Splenda® or Natvia™
- 4 eggs, separated
- 5 tsp of lemon peel, grated
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butter and flour a 9 inch diameter cake pan with 1 ½ inch high sides. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper.
- Combine egg yolks, 2 teaspoons of sweetener, lemon peel, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer beat until thick and smooth (approximately 2 minutes). Stir in the almond meal and 2 more teaspoons of sweetener.
- Using clean beaters, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 4 teaspoons of sweetener, beating until mixture is stiff but not dry. Gently fold large spoonfuls of egg whites into almond mixture until combined.
- Transfer mixture to the cake pan. Bake until a skewer comes out clean (approximately 35 minutes). Cool in a pan on a rack.
- Turn out onto a platter and remove the waxed paper. Cut into 6 slices.